Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Weathering the Storm

I never would have known this but hurricanes can reach us and if they are bad they have devastating affects on our area. I can't remember which ones have been the worst but about 12 years ago there was one that took out the entire town's power, downed all kinds of trees and pretty much reeked havoc. Another one flooded half the town. After Russ lived through the one that brought over 60 miles/hr winds that blew a tree on his roof and of course knocked out the power, he bought a whole house generator. When there is even a hint of a storm we batton down the hatches so to speak.

So when Hannah was expected we brought everything in from the porches, invited his parents to spend the night and had a wonderful time. Hannah didn't do anything. It did come right through but by the time it reached us it was hardly even a storm. We just got some nice rain and that was all.

I had picked almost a bushel of butter beans that morning so Mom and Dad Ayscue shelled them for me. Most of you have never shelled a butter bean I bet. There is a certain art to it and also to knowing when they are ready to be picked. I'm proud to say I've now acquired the ability. Haven't quite quite got the art of it yet but give me another year or two.





William enjoys his first tropical storm with Grandma.




Russ shows Dad our blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks like y'all had a grand time, especially since the storm was no storm at all. i haven't picked or shelled butter beans in a long time, so i am sure you will be better at it than me in no time at all! mama and daddy are quite good at both. i can only imagine how fast my grandmothers were, who hand-shelled vegetables all summer long for many years!