Sunday, January 11, 2009

Getting Ready for Christmas

Being 1000 miles away from my mom and dad and sisters and brothers is hard to say the least. I always feel a tad disloyal when I choose to stay home for the important holidays rather than travel to be with them. However, I know they understand. After all, it was Dad who taught us the importance of establishing traditions within the immediate family circle.

So we stayed home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I did very much enjoy that. I was able to devote more time to getting our house decorated and the special cookies and foods prepared. But I didn't get everything accomplished that I had hoped to. Nowhere near, if the truth be known. Christmas is a lot of work!! And it takes a lot of preparation and planning ahead of time for the mom a.k.a., me, to be able to do what needs to be done AND to enjoy it. That's what I've learned in the last two Christmas.


Setting out to find a tree. We only visited one lot this year.

I wonder how many couples have to work out the issue of "how to decorate a Christmas Tree". Thankfully I have a husband who is more than willing to allow me complete freedom in all matters of home and holiday decore'. Not only that, but he even goes along with all the particulars and enjoys the process with me. So all our ornaments "hang". Which means they sway back and forth unimpeded if the tree gets jostled a bit. No ornaments are hung on light wires, although I did have to take one or two off and little ornaments are hung at the top and then the ornaments get progressivley bigger as you get to the bottom of the tree.

The whale tail ornament we got on our honeymoon so long ago.



2 comments:

The Boojes said...

Ah, you crack me up! Russ is so good for you, letting you hang your ornaments by size! =) We were happy just to get breakable ones out of Boojie's reach. =P Your tree looks great, though!

Anonymous said...

when kerry and i went to buy lights last year for our tree, i found out he likes colorful lights and i like white ones! but he let me get the white ones. :)